vets in bath
EMERGENCIES 01225 832521
Bath Vets has a first opinion service and referral service dedicated to the specialist care of rabbits, rodents, birds, reptiles and many other uncommon small mammals.
When selecting a ‘first pet’ many households will choose a small pet such as a rabbit, guinea pig or hamster due to their size, perceived lack of time involved in looking after them in comparison to dogs and cats and the fact that they require less space. These pets are often known in the veterinary world as ‘exotic animals’ and include reptiles, birds, fish as well as the more common rabbits, hamsters, gerbils and rats.
Many of these species have very specific dietary and housing requirements and poor health and significant diseases can result when these are not met. For example Guinea Pigs, like humans, are unable to manufacture Vitamin C and so it is important to ensure that they receive Vitamin C via special Guinea Pig pellets and fresh vegetables and fruits.
Based at the Rosemary Lodge Hospital, the Exotics Team understand the unique husbandry and medical needs of these exotic companion animals and by working with our clients we hope that we can provide up to date information and medical care best suited to the individual pet to promote good health care and welfare.
We offer referral and support services for exotic cases including:
- Yearly wellness examinations: We recommend yearly examinations for all exotic animals. Because the lifespan of some of exotic patients is relatively short, we often recommend twice-yearly examinations.
- Neutering: We offer spay and neuter surgeries for rabbits, rodents (rats, mice, hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils, guinea pigs, and sugar gliders), and ferrets.
- Other surgical procedures: We can also provide other surgical procedures for ferrets, rabbits, rodents, birds, and reptiles. These may include mass removal, wound repair, limb amputation, enucleation, bladder stone removal, egg binding release in birds, and much more.
- Dental procedures: We provide routine dental care as well as more complicated dental procedures for rabbits and rodents. CT examination is used to plan management of complicated dental disease.
- Consultation for sick patients (Including upper respiratory infections, slowing of the stomach and intestinal tract, poor diet, injuries, and much more)
- Husbandry consultations: Proper husbandry and management in vital for an exotic pet! We can provide advice on a variety of exotic species.
- Nutritional consults: The diet for all exotics is mostly different from dogs and cats. We aim to work alongside you and your client to ensure that their diet is healthy and that their pet is looked after correctly.
- Beak and nail trims: We offer this service for our bird/reptile patients.
- Consults on bird behavior: These include feather picking, destructive behavior, and much more.
Our high standard facilities are equipped with all diagnostic and treatment facitlities and we provide a wide variety of services including digital radiography, ultrasonography, endoscopy, CT and MRI.
Laser therapy: We are able to provide laser therapy support as another way to promote healing, reduce inflammation, and relieve pain for a variety of conditions affecting exotics species.